Thursday, February 24, 2011

Dont ask the 4 year old....

For a few months now Alex has been telling us that her room is a "baby room". She doesnt like the butterflies and flowers on the walls. She wants a big girl room. She also feels her bathroom is a boy bathroom and would like a girl bathroom (its decorated in stars, moons and suns). I planned to redecorate her bathroom this winter. Grandma Grape aka Grandma Olivia aka GG bought Alex a colorful beaded chandalier. I originally thought about hanging it in her bedroom but found super duper cute bathroom decor it goes perfect with. And its on clearance/sale with free shipping at Target. So plans changed to hang it in her bathroom over the toilet. It will fill in the blank wall. We are getting rid and selling a few items and toys in her room that will hopefully pay for the redecorating of her bathroom. I have priced everything out to total just under $200.

Now for her bedroom. Doug and I decided to start redecorating it even though this was not planned for a couple of more years. When we bought her crib, we bought the Lifetime crib that changed from crib to day bed to full bed. We did not purchase the rails (I blame Doug for this as I wanted to buy the rails at the time we purchased the bedroom suit when I was pregnant). Well searching on line I found out the crib/bed was recalled in 2009 because there was a fear babies could get caught in between the rails. There were no reports of injuries so it was a precautionary recall. So the rails were no longer available to purchase. (hhmm, should I dance around and sing "I told ya so Doug"?)
So after some thought and research we have decided to buy her a new bedroom suit. We found a really cute bed and dresser with mirror at Ashley Furniture. We then gave Alex many options of new bedding to choose from. Obviously this was a harder task for a 4 year old than we expected.
Heres one of the many conversations we had with Alex while showing her pictures of bedding:
Mom: Do you like this one Alex?
Alex: I dont like the clock
Mom: The clock on the wall?? We are not buying the clock. Look at the comforter on the bed. Do you like the colors?
Alex: I dont like the clock. I want pink.
Mom: (next option) How about this? Do you like the butterflies? It has pink in it.
Alex: No. I want the light
Mom: We are not looking at the lamp. Look at the blanket on the bed.
Alex: I dont want butt-a-flies.
Mom: (another option) Okay how about this one? This has flowers on the blanket.
Alex: (peering at the computer screen with all the other bedding sets listed) OH Momma! Look, Butt-a-flies! I want those! Purple Butt-a-flies!
Mom: (jaw dropped) What? But you just said.... you.... but... this.....huh?
End of conversation. Daddy and Mommy made the final choice. This is how many of our conversations went when trying to get help from Alex to pick out the bedroom suit. She didnt like the comforter on the bed so she didnt want it. Its difficult to make her understand we arent buying the bedding, we are buying the furniture.

Here is the bed we chose. It has extra storage underneathe! Oh the lil things that excite me.

Here is the dresser and mirror to match.
And here is the new bedding we chose. We matched paint swatches to it as well. Two shades of pink. Dont even ask me how that conversation went with Alex. Lets just say, she apparently doesnt like pink anymore after asking for a pink bedroom. Difficult child, difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment